Thursday, July 31, 2008

When Did We Get Here

We are attending a funeral today for the mother of one of our dear friends. Last year we attended the funeral of another dear friend’s father. Yesterday, I was talking to a friend on the phone and it hit me: When did we get to the point when losing our parents is a real possibility? I know it has always been a possibility, but it seems more real now. I don’t like to think about it, and I’d rather continue with my earlier beliefs that my parents will never die. It should make sense that as we get older, our parents do to, but I forget it sometimes.

I almost feel like I should now go into a discussion about how we should never take our parents for granted, but I don’t feel like going into the guilt part of this. I am mainly thinking about how things are different as we get older. Inevitably, we are all a day closer to our deaths than we were yesterday. In bed last night we were talking about this and how easy it is to forget to live in the present. It seems like we spend most of our time thinking about tomorrow and our plans, and we miss out on the present moments God gives us to live under his care. I realize I said earlier I didn’t want to go into the guilt part, and I think I just did.

When did we get here?

No comments:

Post a Comment