Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Mmmm . . . Cognitive Candy

I was reading the great blog of James Wood and checked out a website he recommended. I now own the Brain Rules book by John Medina and have a great quote for the day: “Physical activity is cognitive candy.”

I don’t know how much you follow brain research, but I an beginning to more and more. As a counselor I am basically just trying to help people rewire their brains. Back to the quote, there is overwhelming evidence that exercise improves brain functioning. In fact, you don’t even have to do a whole lot of exercise. A 20-minute walk a day can make a big difference. Exercise also appears to help alleviate depression (of course, who wants to exercise when they are depressed). So exercise can help you function better cognitively and tighten your rear. Did you ever wonder why runners, apart from the crazy idea to wear the shortest shorts in cold weather, seem to be more on their game?

I highly recommend this book. If talk of evolution offends you and keeps you from seeing the bigger picture, I would encourage you to not read this. It is an easy read and practical. It is not overly-scientific and he is able to relate, regardless of the fact that he is an engineer.

No comments:

Post a Comment