Friday, September 29, 2006

Needlephobia Success

Some of you might know about Monica’s incredible fear of needles. She can’t hardly even watch a needle going into somebody on a TV show without cringing. I make fun of her for it, but it is not funny at all to her (which is, of course, why I might of her about it). Monica has had some bad previous experiences with needles and giving blood, and also has a close family member with an intense fear of needles as well. I can’t blame her for this fear.

At her last doctor’s appointment the other day, she was determined to give blood samples. I was surprised because she turns all shades of purple, her eyes get bloodshot, and she totally tenses up any time she is in the doctor’s office and knows the needle is coming. This time, though, it was different. She did have abnormally high blood pressure, and the Dr. asked her if she was taking any blood pressure meds, but it turns out she was just so nervous about the blood test and the needle! As is our policy, I wait in the lobby and the nurse calls me in when it is blood time. I was finally called to the plate and I went back to assist. . .

The determination was evident on Monica’s face. The nurse came in and let Monica lie down for the major procedure. We had a great nurse, too—one that was nice, had a good sense of humor, and did not mock Monica for her fear (like the last nurse did). Monica asked how many tubes of blood they needed, but the nurse said, “You don’t need to worry about that, that’s my job.” She stuck Monica, but Monica took it in stride and kept breathing heavy and squeezing my hand as she kept her eyes closed. Then, as quickly as it began, it was over and the blood was taken.

Monica confessed it wasn’t really that bad! She doesn’t want to do it everyday, but she made a huge step towards conquering the fear. The Dr. made her a deal that if she gave blood now, she could skip a year—great motivation for Monica. We got the results from the test and I must say that my wife is perfect. Not that it is anybody’s business but ours, but I have a really healthy wife, and it must have a lot to do with my good healthy cooking. Yeah right! All that to say I am so proud of my wife for winning the battle against the needle. She is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment